Langurs: From Orange to Silver

Posted at 10:04 am July 16, 2009 by Beth McDonald

The silver-leaf langur babies at the San Diego Zoo are doing very well (see previous post, Langurs: Bright Orange Babies). Tevy’s baby, born on February 26, 2009, is almost all silver with only a little bit of orange left. Adamena’s baby, born on April 13, is still mostly orange. The babies play together throughout the day. I have seen them climbing around and jumping from one branch to the next. They will swing around on branches, holding on with one hand, and hang upside down.

We have not yet confirmed the babies’ genders, but we suspect they are females. We let the mother take care of the babies, and we do not interfere unless there are complications. They stay close to their mothers, which makes them difficult to sex. Once the babies start getting more confident, they will spend more time away from their mothers when they are close to us.

Tevy’s baby gets around very well and is a great climber. Adamena’s baby is learning fast. This mother is very protective of her baby; she doesn’t let her baby travel too far away. Tevy, on the other hand, is an experienced mother and is very laid back.

The babies like to play with Zoe, who is considered a subadult (not a juvenile but not quite an adult). Tevy’s baby especially is fond of Zoe; she will follow her around and grab onto her whenever she passes. Zoe tolerates the babies and for the most part seems to enjoy interacting with them. Come watch them on the Sun Bear Trial in the Zoo’s Asian Passage zone.

Beth McDonald is a senior keeper at the San Diego Zoo. Read Beth’s previous post, Keeping Up with Lion-Tailed Macaques.

11 Responses to “Langurs: From Orange to Silver”

1. Carole says:

Where are the languers located in the zoo?

Moderator’s note: The live on the Sun Bear Trail in the Asian Passage zone (across from the sun bear exhibit).

2. Carole says:

Moderator, will you please identify the two lions at Elephant Odyssey. I think they are Mbari and Etosha formerly at the Wild Animal Park,

Moderator’s note: You are correct!

3. Heather Leith says:

I love langur babies. They are fun to work with and watch grow. They are little spit fires. It always fascinates the public on how they go from the yellow/orange to the grey or black depending on the species.

4. Lisa says:

HAPPY ZOOKEEPERS WEEK!!! You do a fantastic job. We visited the zoo in March and had an excellent time. We have no zoos in Maine, so it was very nice to visit SDZ. The zoo is beautiful and the flowers were wonderful. I even took some video of a family of primates (can’t remember which ones). There was a little one and some juveniles. The juveniles were running around and making noise and causing a rucus until a big male (I guess) came in and put a stop to it. Thank you for all you do.

Hi! Haven’t seen any new updates in the last couple of weeks on any of the monkeys and apes since the July 16 update on the languar monkey babies. I did read that, and it looks like these babies are growing and developing just fine. What’s the latest about Frank, the baby gorilla, the guenons, the siamangs, and the orangutans? Is Janey still doing her art work? Any of the female siamangs and orangutans pregnant? Just full of questions, am I? Oh yeah, baby gorilla at the National Zoo in DC is now 6 months old, doing alot more exploring, sticks to her mom still but gaining some independence, and the gorilla troop is also looking after her as well. Her name is Kibibi.

Will check back in later on for new updates and also check the ape cam. Didn’t see any siamangs and orangs on the cam yet today.

See ya!

Moderator’s note: We’ll have some new posts from our great ape keepers in time for the Zoo’s Discovery Days: Absolutely Apes celebration in September.

Got back on the apecam a little later in the day after I wrote my comments today, and there were 2 siamangs relaxing on the rocks, and one orang having alot of fun on those Olines. That was all of them that I saw today. Maybe I’ll see more of them tomorrow. Will check back later!

7. Betsy says:

I believe that all 3 of the theories could work at the same time. All sound very good. Wish I could come and see all the wonderful animals at San Diego WAP and ZOO. Keepers keep up the good work and mods for all your questions you answer for us. I don’t like to say, but I am unlucky to be able to see any monkeys up close at all.

Well, I was going to get back to the apecam and blogs, but after last Thursday, I was not getting on the blogs at all thanks to the blog crash of 2009! I’ve only been on the apecam one other time since I last wrote in because I was very well glued to the pandacam after Bai Yun gave birth to her 5th cub on August 5. Then the blogs crashed, and I had a very frustrating time getting on to any of them! I’m glad that the ape blog is back up again, but I had to hit the ape link on the side of the main blog page to get into your blog. On the Zooborns website, they have a great closeup picture of a baby languar monkey in all of her orange glory at another zoo! She was born about a month ago. What you described about the 2 languar monkeys at SDZ really showed on this monkey on the Zooborns website. Those babies are very pretty when they are born, but that orange color doesn’t last for very long from what I have read in your latest update about the 2 languar babies. Do you all have an idea as to why these babies are born with that bright color? My curious mind wants to know! How’s Frank, the baby gorilla doing?

Well, gonna get back to the pandacam. Will get on the ape cam tomorrow!

9. Vickie Bennett says:

Hi, Beth! Just wanted you to know how proud I am to see you’ve “made it” in your chosen field. Your mom gave me the link to check in with you.

10. Naomi Caccam says:

Hi! I observed the Silver-Leaf Langurs on November 11th for my Anthropology assignment and I noticed one orange infant and two other young looking ones. At the time I thought that the orange infant there was the same one as on the plaque, but from what I’ve read here on the website the one born in February would’ve been silver by now. So does this mean a new baby has been born? I’d like to know when if that’s the case.

And also, have the other two youths’ genders been identified and have them been named? I really fell in love with them while I was there and I’d love to get more info on them.

Beth responds: There was a third baby born on October 14, 2009; the baby is all orange, the sex is yet to be determined. The older babies are both female. Bala (means “power”) is the oldest baby, born on February 26, 2009. Aluna (means “the moon”) was born on April 13, 2009.

11. Pam Beckerson says:

My daughter is working in conservation in Asia, and at the moment is caring for a rescued baby silver-leaf Langur. The concern is the baby needs a proper diet as provided in the forest by it’s mother. They are struggling to know how to give this diet to the baby. They think that maybe its diet of vegetation is digested first by its mother then passed to the baby. You obviously have babies at your zoo, do you know from observation if this is the case? Any help would be appreciated.

Beth responds: I have sent your request to our primate nursery as they are experts at hand rearing infants.