Meet Cairo!

Posted at 11:14 am December 30, 2005 by Marcia Redding

Cairo the mastiff Thanks, everyone, for your comments! Here are some answers to questions about Koza the lion cub and his future canine companion, Cairo the Italian mastiff (shown here with Autumn Nelson, an animal care supervisor at the Wild Animal Park).

Italian mastiff females can reach 90 pounds (45 kilograms) in weight, although some are smaller. Shirley, that wasn’t me you saw with Koza at the Animal Care Center – I mostly work at Lion Camp and see him when he visits. Soon little Cairo will join him!

Linda asks what will happen to Cairo when Koza outgrows her. The puppy already has a home ready and waiting for her with a member of the Mammal Department staff when the time comes. She is one lucky pup to have escaped hurricane Katrina’s devastation, and we will make sure she has a wonderful home for life.

Marcia Redding is a senior mammal keeper at the Wild Animal Park.

12 Responses to “Meet Cairo!”

1. Nancy B. Leavitt says:

I am so happy that the little lion now has a playmate. The Cane Corso was a good choice. We look forward to watching them play. Thanks for keeping us informed.

2. Shirley Sykes says:

Marcia, thanks for the picture of Cairo and Autumn. He seems to be a perfect match for little Koza. I hope to see you one day at Lion Camp, perhaps during one of the lions’ training sessions. I hope you and all the staff have a wonderful New Year.

3. Bernice says:

This is awesome! I’ve been waiting to find out what kind of playmate little Koza gets…Cairo is just perfect. 🙂 What a pretty girl too! I’m sure they’ll have so much fun together… Looking forward to the photos!! Thanks for the updates Marcia!

4. Cheryl says:

What an adorable pup – and what a lucky one too! I’m sure Koza and Cairo will become fast friends and I look forward to hearing and seeing clips of their adventures together. I haven’t been to the Wild Animal Park in awhile – so I think it’s about time to go for a visit and see these little ones soon! Thanks for all of your hard work and dedication – and saving the life of this little puppy. What a great gift for the new year!

5. Kenna says:

Thank you so much for this information. She’s a beautiful puppy, and I look forward to seeing her and little Koza soon. You are all so kind to keep us up to date on all the goings on at the Park!

6. Lisa says:

I’ve been wondering about the cub and had the good fortune of seeing him at the WAP today. I was thrilled to find out you have a zoo keeper’s blog to keep us up with what is going on. I can’t wait to hear what happens when Koza and Cairo finally get to play together!

7. Debra says:

Thanks for the info! I’m also happy to see that some of the blogs have Spanish translations. Here in Monterey, California, the local (wonderful) Monterey Bay Aquarium is working hard to appeal more to non-English speakers. Bravo!

8. A.Y. says:

What a cutie she is! Just like everybody else, I can’t wait to see how Cairo & Koza interact 🙂

9. Nancy B. Leavitt says:

We are so eager to see some pictures or videos of the cub and the pup together!

10. Stacy says:

What a pretty girl Cairo is! Can’t wait to see them together. I expected nothing less from SDZ than this lovely story of Cairo. All animals, domestic or exotic, fall under their care. Thank you for caring! Cairo is indeed a lucky girl.

11. Katie says:

Two of my favorite animals together at last!

12. panda queen from New Orleans says:

Way to go Cairo!!! You’re one of the lucky ones. Hurrican Katrina was non to kind to animals. I myself snuck into New Orleans when it was declared unsafe, to rescue a friend’s cat named Trouble, believe me she’s no trouble at all! Please keep New Orleans in your thoughts and prayers!